If you need to get more fibre in your or your kids’ diet then these delicious yet very healthy muffins are just what you need. They’ve got lots of prebiotic fibre (in the form of buckwheat flour, oat bran, apples, applesauce, and flax seeds) to feed your friendly gut bugs.
We could all benefit from more prebiotic fibre in our diets to promote the growth of favourable gut bacteria. Getting enough fibre can also lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Although buckwheat contains the word wheat, it is actually a gluten-free grain chock full of nutrients so if you are not familiar with it then I highly suggest you look for it the next time you’re grocery shopping!
These high fibre muffins are super moist (courtesy of the applesauce) and taste great on their own, however I like to eat them with a little grass-fed ghee spread over them (so yummy!) – if you are vegan you could try coconut butter instead. They make a filling, nutrient-dense breakfast or they can be eaten as a snack.
Recipe: (makes 18 muffins)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or oat flour)
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 flax eggs *
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or any other milk)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large apples, peeled and grated
*to make a flax egg, combine 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2 tbsp water and let sit 10 mins until a gel forms.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and grease or line 2 muffin pans.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine all of the wet ingredients in a separate medium bowl (except for the apples).
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the grated apples, then let sit for 10 mins.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!
Article written by Kiran Sidhu, Holistic Nutritionist. To schedule a 1-1 nutrition consultation with Kiran, select “book an appointment” from the menu bar and choose the service that best fits your nutrition counselling needs.
Copyright 2018-2020 Key To Health Nutrition Consulting All Rights Reserved