While I love to bake I don’t love washing all of the dishes that get used in the process. Do you ever feel like you really want to bake something but you can’t bring yourself to do it because you dread the aftermath in the sink? This recipe is for those days you really want a healthy treat but you just don’t feel like doing a boatload of dishes afterwards. You’re welcome 🙂
Most of the healthier gluten-free recipes I come across contain oats or oat flour and while I love oats, I prefer to switch things up to make sure I’m getting a variety of nutrients. I like using buckwheat as an alternate gluten-free flour because it’s a complete protein (that’s important for vegetarians like myself!), high in antioxidants and rich in minerals like manganese and magnesium.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and healthier than conventional banana bread due to its relatively low sugar content. There is no processed sugar in this recipe; it is sweetened with only bananas and maple syrup which are lower on the glycemic index than regular table sugar and contain trace minerals.
You can eat a slice of this banana bread on its own for a quick breakfast or snack or top it with nut butter to make it more filling.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (I use coconut)
- 3 flax eggs*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
*to make a flax egg, combine 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds with 2.5 tbsp water and let sit 10 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk together. Add the salt and baking soda and whisk well, making sure there are no clumps of baking soda. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the pre-greased loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool before removing loaf from the pan. Cut into slices and enjoy!