While my usual go-to breakfast is either a green smoothie or oatmeal, sometimes I just don’t feel like having anything sweet in the morning and need a savoury start to my day instead.
This tofu scramble is perfect for those days, and it keeps me satiated until lunch. You can pair it with hash browns, roasted potatoes, fruit, toast, or anything you prefer. It’s also perfectly fine on its own (I recommend throwing in some more veggies if you’re not pairing it with anything else).
Tofu is a great vegan source of protein and this tofu scramble is a great substitute for scrambled eggs if you’re looking for a plant-based alternative. Try this healthy breakfast recipe the next time you’re craving a savoury breakfast!
Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 1 400g block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 4 cups spinach (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Heat the oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for a few mins until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for a few more mins. Then add the spinach and cook for 1-2 mins until wilted. Add the spices and stir well.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands (simply squeeze it with your hands) and add it to the pan. This step is a great way to get kids involved in making breakfast.
- Stir well to combine. Cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until tofu is very slightly browned. Remove from heat and serve warm with avocado, hashbrowns or other form of potatoes, fresh fruit, toast, or whatever you prefer!
Recipe by Kiran Sidhu, Holistic Nutritionist. To schedule a free 15 min nutrition consultation with Kiran, click here.